Wednesday 28 July 2010

Matsui VX 2500 VCR



Like a lot of the home cinema technology to emerge in the late 80's, the Matsui VX 2500 was as plain as they come.  This particular video cassette recorder was very basic in all departments with no outstanding features and absolutely nothing to separate it from the regular VCR crowd.  I'm assuming it had an attractively low price when compared to it's peers such as the JVC's and Fergusson's of the time.
I say assume, as like my first personal TV, this VCR was also a gift to me.

Head on view of the Matsui VX 2500 VCR


It's bland features complimented my small Osaki TV quite nicely.  The VCR is a typical front loading machine with the loading bay on the left hand side.  The right hand side contained a very glossy digital display which showed day and time in 24 hour format.  It also showed if a tape was inserted, what speed it was (sp/lp) and also provided a counter/timer display instead of a clock when the 'Timer' button was pressed on the remote.  The display digits were yellow, with an on/off light in bright red.

Right hand display showing yellow digits and glossy front panel
As you can see the display is not very bright and this is made all the worse by the glossy front panel which is very reflective.  Near useless in anything but dim conditions.
5 of the 6 hard buttons on the machine and reflective front display
Underneath the display are six buttons - Rec/OTR, Play, channel UP, channel DOWN, Stop/Eject, and VCR ON.  The power button turned the VCR on from standby mode - it's permanent state when not in use, which I believe to be typical of all VCR's.  It also turned the machine back into standby mode.

The back of the machine

The back of the machine was almost as feature less as the front.  It really is a very 'primitive' VCR when compared to some others that were around at the time.  That is probably quite unfair to say, as looking at many VCR's over the years, there really is very little difference in any of them from a certain point in time.  The playing field became very level once the absolute basics were included in a VCR, and any additional features were more marketing rubbish than genuine requirements.
Connections on the VX 2500
 As can be seen from the back of the VCR, some of the well known connections are missing.  The Scart connection being the most obvious.  Although Scart was around and was gaining popularity in the 1980's, it would seem that much of the cheaper equipment available omitted this connection.  Scart was fairly new and was, and still is confusing for some people, what with RGB, composite, and S-Video protocols to follow with either 21 pin or ten pin connectors, and clear differences in picture quality depending on the type of Scart used.  And since it wasn't a compulsory connection, it's no surprise that many items didn't include Scart.

Another missing connection from the VX 2500 would be S-Video, or Separate Video as it is known to many.  A step up from composite, but a step below RGB Scart.  Instead of Scart or S-Video, the VX 2500 carried composite connections, IN and OUT.
Due to a lack of composite input on my TV at the time, I was forced to use the RF connections instead.  To be honest, I doubt I would have seen any improvement in VHS playback quality if I were able to use the composite connection.  And since I knew nothing of video production, scan lines, different connections, CRT types, Laser Disc, etc, I was content enough with picture quality from VHS on a 14" screen.  How could it get better than that?
Moving on to audio connections, and the VX 2500 was only capable of providing mono sound through either it's RF connection or single analogue (white) RCA connection.  Some more sophisticated VCRs at the time were able to produce stereo sound and had stereo RCA  (red and white) outputs.  These machines probably had the Scart connections too.
But did I miss anything?  No.  Fortunately I was far too ignorant at the time to notice just how much I could squeeze from my modest VHS collection in terms of picture and sound quality.

From what I remember, and compared to my current VCR (yes, I still operate one), the VX 2500 was fairly quiet during operation, with few of the creaks, groans and humming I notice emanating from my current video tape player.  And once behind the glass doors of a video cabinet, operational noise was almost non existent.  Perfect for watching movies.
Another plus point for me at the time was that this VCR came with a infra red remote control.  Finally I didn't have to move across the room just to change channel.  I could do it from the comfort of my own bed.  Ah, heaven.
VX 2500 Remote

The remote itself was among the least impressive I have ever seen.  It was fairly large, flat, black plastic rectangle with no styling or ergonomics of any kind.  The top quarter of the remote contained a large LCD screen (similar in size to that found on a digital camera) which did nothing but flash a 'Send' icon at the push of every button.  All that space of the screen with nothing but the top right corner taken up with a flashing icon when used.  To be honest the remote was used to program the VCR for timed recording, and the screen was there to aid this function, but I never used it.

Close up of LCD screen

And with the push of every rubber button on the remote, the VCR would beep in response.  So every channel change had a beep.  Every time I pressed play, I heard a beep. Stop, beep, forward, beep, rewind, beep, on, beep, off, beep, 1 - 0, beep, beep, beep.  There was no way to turn the beep off.  It was a small annoyance for a machine that otherwise did a great job of doing what it was supposed to do - play and record onto VHS tapes.  It was also very long lived and functioned properly for the best part of a decade before becoming unreliable and a menace to cassettes.

I recently bought my VX 2500 out of storage for the purpose of testing it and photographing it for this write up.  I would have liked to have shown it in full operation, but it just chewed up the tape (a dispensable one).  I dare say that with a couple of spare parts, like some clean rollers, it could be put back into full service, but I guess it really isn't worth it.  I'll keep it anyway, as part of my collection, and a small piece of VCR history, although, like I've said, during their day, most VCR's were much of a muchness, and there really is nothing collectable about the Matsui VX 2500 Video Cassette Recorder.






No comments:

Post a Comment